Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Can't sleep

Allen is having surgery in the morning.
We have to be at the hospital by 5:30am. 4 1/2 hours from now, and I'm not in bed yet. Well, I was in bed, but it was no use. Couldn't sleep.

He's having a major section of his sigmoid colon removed, due to his diverticulitis. The hospitalization he had back in December. It's finally surgery time.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now. Lots going on.

Carly and I haven't been speaking as much, and for now, that's a good thing.
I'm having a hard time with her right now. Lately it's been due to compensation, and her questioning me over the most simple of things, things that were drawn up in our contract, and she acts like she's totally surprised when she has to pay for them. And she ask me about it, which makes me uncomfortable. And I've told her that before.

One mistake I made was that I agreed to let her pay my compensation by month, rather that her having to put the total amount into escrow up front.

So, each time something comes up, my agency has to contact her to send money to the account, so things can be covered.

Carly constantly mentions to me that she hates the fact that the agency always calls her about sending more money. Well, if she would have put a lump sum in the account up front, she wouldn't constantly hear from them. They would just send me the compensation, and send her an updated statement each month.

Last week, she asked me why she was paying me .xx cents per mile to the Dr.s office.
I reminded her that it was her request that I go to her OB-Gyn's office, and it is 40 minutes from my house, about 30 miles. Roundtrip that is 60 miles, and is not considered local travel. Anything over 25 miles roundtrip (or something to that effect) she's required to give me gas money/milage.
This is clearly stated in our contract.
As a matter of fact I specifically remember her telling me this a few months ago. " I just appreciate it so much that you're willing to travel out of your way, to my Ob-gyn. I don't mind having to pay your milage. I've been seeing him for almost 20 years, and I'm just so happy that you'll be under his care"

The thing that pisses me off is this.

1. The things I've asked for are fair, and totally standard. Don't act surprised about any of it. Didn't she read the contract before she signed it? (more about this to follow)

2. Don't talk to ME about it! Talk to the agency. She knows I don't want to deal with that aspect of our relationship. It makes me feel cheapened in some way.

3. Don't complain about a favour you asked of me! I'll BE GLAD to go back to seeing my female ob-gyn whom I adore, She's FIVE minutes from my house. That way, she won't have to pay me a dime extra.


Let me share a little something from back in January.

It is very common to get a transfer fee. Mine was average, compensation wise.

When we went through our contract stage, Carly called me asking me if I would go over our contract (compensation part) with her. She said she had some questions that she needed clarification on.
In the section about the transfer, it said "D will get compensated $xxx for each embryo transfer"
Carly asked me if that $XXX was for EACH EMBRYO, because then that amount would be double if I accepted two to be transferred etc. I said no. That ment that amount for each embryo TRANSFER, the transfer itself, no matter how many were tranferred.
Make sense?
Ok, so she asked me if we could have the wording made clearer. I said sure. And I made sure it was changed.
Now, here we go.

The night before our transfer, I got a call from Carly. She was freaking out. Telling me how she had just gotten off the phone with Sugar (our agency owner)
That she DIDN"T KNOW that she had to pay $XXX for the transfer! And she told me all about how she was "screaming" at Sugar, and how she was "so loud, Ben heard me in the house and I was in the closed garage" and how she was so mad at Sugar, it was Sugar's fault for not explaining the contract with her.
???
She had me in tears, as I was so upset that she was making such a big deal out of this. To me, she was already arguing about $ and was making me feel that what I was doing wasn't worth compensating.
It was no ones fault but hers that she didn't understand. Of course I had just explained the transfer fee to her a few weeks before.
You know, I really don't care if I say how much it was.
It was $500.

Yeah. She has a surrogate that has agreed to let her pay monthly, not upfront, (so I don't have any kind of safety net if she quits sending compensation)
I agreed not to go back to work this year, I don't have a loss of organs fee, or MANY other fees that a regular contract has.
I was feeling very used at that point, like she was trying to rip me off.

I had been through 2 months of contracts, doctors appointments pills, and shots, and really up to that point in a surrogacy agreement, there isn't a lot to be compensated for. This was the first thing that I would receive $ for. And she was trying to fight it? And I had to explain to her what it was for? Like I was trying to fight for my worth. It was terrible. Once I started crying and explained it to her, she said she felt bad, and agreed to pay it. We transferred 3, 5 day blasts the next morning, and within the week we knew I was pregnant.

Here's the kicker. A couple of weeks later, Carly slipped (I forget how) and told me that SUGAR had payed me my transfer fee, out of her own pocket. (the agency owner)
And Carly let her.
All because Carly flipped out on her, saying she should have explained the contract better to her.

THAT my friends bothers me.

So you see now why there's been stress on my part with Carly. And that isn't all of it. But I'm tired now. And I'm not spell checking this vent.

Allen's surgery is in a few hours.

Nite.

*edited to add*
I just read this though ( I'm still not going to fix all those spelling and grammar mistakes!) and I need to add something.
Before you think that maybe Carly is freaking because they don't have the money for this surrogacy, they do.
They just took a week long cruise in December, and they just got back from an 8 day stay in Las Vegas- 2 weeks ago. She's a full time high school teacher, and has told me that she's at the top of the pay scale. (she even told me her yearly salary, why? I don't know)
She also teaches college 2 nights a week. Ben is a stock trader, and she's even told me what he makes every day.

She comes from a wealthy family. Trust me.

She also has prided herself on being able to get bargains whereever she goes, getting discounts etc. She recently (last week) called herself "Discount Carly" to Ben, while I was on the phone.


End of story.

11 comments:

Cat, Galloping said...

well jeez, i can't imagine why you can't sleep.

Anonymous said...

I'm feeling so bad for you. She is really treating you awfully. I definitely know how strained a surrogate relationship can get, but yours really takes the cake. Can you tell Sugar your side, or is that rocking the boat too much? I just don't get it. With both my GC's, I was the one that wanted things included in the contract, that had monetary value, and if they needed something, (housekeeping help in the 3rd trimester comes to mind) I didn't balk at all. I'm glad to pay whatever it is. I guess my situation is a little different, because we aren't really compensating them in the traditional sense, because they were a family member and friend who offered, but still...Ugh! I don't know how you're coping. Twins and a surgery for DH? I hope it goes well. You're in my thoughts. Maybe its time to have a pow wow with Carly.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, this is awful. I take it her money was making too much interest someplace else to put it in escrow for you?

I hate when people pitch a fit to get their way; it's so manipulative. I hate that Sugar gave in to her like that. Embryo transfer EVENT is very different from NUMBER of embryos transferred per attempt. You would think that with her experience she could get her head around this one.

It has got to be a bad feeling for you to wonder if she will be shrill like this to the babies. Because that is exactly where my mind takes me.

I think something has to change because you cannot be under this kind of stress.

I hope Allen's surgery goes well and that you can get some good rest tonight.

Aileara said...

OMG, that all sux. First, I hope Allen's surgery has gone well-sending prayers. Second, I can't believe Carly. We're far from rich, but all necessary funds were in escrow a full two months before our GS even started meds. We had to borrow $$ from DH's parents, but wouldn't think of not getting it all in that escrow account. Carly is not treating you fairly, and I think Sugar should intervene here. You shouldn't have to deal with any of this. It's between us IPs and the agency to get that $$ in place so you wonderful GS/TS ladies don't have to give it a thought. Good luck my friend!

Kim said...

I can not believe that you have even had those conversations with her regarding money. All of our compensation issues are clearly spelled out in our contract and if there is ever a debate we are to contact either the agency or our lawyers. Wow. I was amazed of all our surrogate had to go through before there was any regular compensation. Like you said there are weeks of shots, hormones, appointments, and tests before the transfer. I am so sorry you are having to deal with all of that on top of being pregnant--for someone else for crying out loud. I hope your husband is doing ok. I will be praying for him and for you. :)

Anonymous said...

OMG, I'm so sorry you're going through so much stress. Good luck to Allen as he goes through the surgery.....and as for Carly. Her behavior is unconscionable. She sounds extremely manipulative -- plus there's a fine line between bargain-hunter and just plain cheap. She's leaning towards the latter....

If she chooses to bring up monetary "issues" with you in the future, I would simply tell her that everything was worked out in the contract and refer her to it. There's no reason why you should have to justify things that have already been agreed to. As for what she did to the agency owner, I'm just speechless.

We haven't gotten to the point where money stuff has been too much of a big deal yet, but I understand your feelings about having to discuss these things. It's my least favorite part of the whole equation, but it is necessary, it is justified, and you shouldn't be made to feel bad about it.

Anonymous said...

praying Allen comes through the surgery brilliantly thinking of you both.

I'm not a GS or an IP but honestly she's being unfair and childish, if she keeps it up just ask Sugar to send a request for the remainder to be paid in full into the escrow account.

The stress your under can't be good for you, not just the GS you but the Dee/ wife/mother/individual you

again sending thoughts prayers over for Allen and you.

JK said...

I hope Allen's surgery goes well....

Re: the issues with Carly, I would ask for the remainder of the money to be put into escrow now. I would explain that each time she talks to you about money you feel stressed and worry that she might be jeopardizing her children's future.

Seriously.

You are doing an amazing thing and she shouldn't be trying to penny pinch now....

We bought a house from a man who sounds a lot like Carly in terms of "bargain hunting..." He spent 4 days deciding whether to accept our offer because we were .003% lower on our offer than he wanted... He wanted the agent to drop some of his commission to sweeten the deal... It was so stupid. In the end we compromised and gave another .0015... We were just about ready to walk away because thoug we liked the house he was difficult.

Anyway... The LONG point is that she shouldn't be doing this to you as you do have a contract. I would try hard to get the money in escrow. Especially since she is causing undue stress for you. You don't want to be dealing with this as you get more and more pregnant.

Anonymous said...

Praying for Allen that all goes well with his surgery. It has to be very stressful for you too, especially now.
I'd tell Carly that the money discussions are becoming stressful for you and that in turn could possibly be harmfull to the babies, so from now on if she has a problem with payment that reading the contract doesn't make clear, she should talk to the agency or Lawyer about it because you aren't going to put yourself or HER babies through that anymore. She sounds like her personality is such that she is somewhat of a bully when it comes to getting her way. If you don't stop it before it starts, I am afraid you will have an ongoing problem throughout the pregnancy. People like this seem to get satisfaction by pushing to be the winner. My Mother in Law was this way, and I endured it for years until I finally lost it and stood up to her. Stopped her dead in her tracks. The game ended. By the way, I did love her, she was just sooooo difficult! We continued our relationship on different terms, and all was well.

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to see if there was news of how Allen went, thinking of you all.

Lady Nunn said...

I found your blog today and will definitely keep reading, thank you for being so open about your situation. I've lost 3 babies in the last year and if our next attempt goes the same way the we'll be loking into GS. So in my searching, in my fear, in my research into what we might turn to... I found you, and I thank you.

Sara

http://marlespo.livejournal.com/
http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com/