Friday, May 12, 2006

Surgery Update

Allen's surgey went well. It was 3 1/2 hours long. His surgeon took out 14-16 inches of bowel that was "severely diseased, spots were attached to his insides, but the rest looked great."
His incision runs from his belly button straight down to his pubic hair line, about 5 inches long.

When I went to visit Allen after surgery in the recovery room, he was in severe pain. He was moving his legs all about and moaning in pain. He was supposed to have an epidural and be numb from bellybutton down. The epidural didn't work.
I was pissed. The kept giving him morphine, and dilodin? (sp) They said they were giving him enough to numb a horse. It wasn't working.

There was also blood filling his catheter bag along with his urine. I guess they may have "done a little damage when putting in the stints for his catheter"
It was bleeding the entire time he was in recovery, one more reason why he was in there so long.

I was only allowed to go back and see him once an hour, 15 minutes at a time while he was in recovery. He stayed in recovery from 11:30am until almost 9pm.
It was hell. I was trying my best to keep my shit together and not cry.
I just couldn't stand to see him in that much pain.

I finally had to leave, Allen still knocked out, but grimacing in pain in his sleep. I had to get home to the kids. They had school the next day. I was exhausted from spending almost 14 hours in the hospital waiting room by myself.(and limited time in recovery)
So when I left he still wasn't settled in a regular room. That upset me quite a bit.

The only thing that made me feel OK going home, was knowing that the surgery went really well. Now it was all about pain management and recovery.

He was brought to a regular room sometime after I left Tuesday night.

The next day they took the catheter out and the bleeding stopped. Allen got a morphine pump, and they gave him enogh drugs to keep most of the pain away.

Yesterday and today he's ben up walking (shuffling) the halls, per Drs orders.

This evening he got pudding and broth and tea for dinner. (full liquids)

He may come home by tomorrow evening.

Thanks so much for all the great feedback on my last post about Carly and our recent issues.

And the well wishes for Allen are much appreciated.


18 1/2 week ultrasound this Monday morning!

5 comments:

Kim said...

I have been checking your post several times a day to see how your husband is doing. That does sound awful. I hope he has quick healing and gets to come home soon. Take care.

Anonymous said...

I just knew you would post when I went out for dinner :)

Ouch I hurt for Allen, the poor sod I hope his recovery is quick and that the pain eases before too much longer. It's so frightening when something like this happens to our DH's

Not forgetting you, I don't know how you held it all together honestly with everything else going on I'd have lost it, hope your feeling better too.

Anonymous said...

Keeping you both in my thoughts...

bibliophile1978 said...

Thank you for the update on Allen. We appreciate the time you've taken to post. Everyone here is praying for you both (including my sister-in-law's grade 3 class!). :))

Hugs from me to you both. :))

Aileara said...

I'm so glad Allen's surgery is over. It sounds like while things were kind of rough for awhile, that he's on the mend, and thankfully you can both put it behind you. {HUGZ}