Thursday, November 10, 2005

My Mother

Oh, I could tell you stories about my mother.

Let me give you some background. She's 52 years old. She met a man on the internet around 1997 . He lived in Montana, she lived in Ontario, Canada. They dated for a while, visiting back and forth. She moved to Montana and married him around 2000?
(I forget what year they married.) I really like my Step-Dad. I'll call him Rob. She made a good choice.
My Step-Dad Rob has 3 children and two young grandchildren.


Now, I just got off the phone with my mother.
The conversation went something like this.

Mom says "Hi Honey, how are you doing?"

"I'm good, how are you?"

"Oh" she says, "I just called to tell you a funny story. Remember how when you had Kate I told you that I was never going to be a babysitter, or be a Grandma that stayed home and baked cookies? That I was going to be a Grandma that would be more likely to go roller skating with them when they got older?"

Me (guardedly) "Yeah..."

Mom " Well it was Maize's (step grandaughter's) 6th birthday and it was held at a roller rink. So, you know me, when she asked me if I would put on skates and skate with her, I did. Of course I was skating and snapping pictures and of course Rob was laughing at me. So I made a face at him over my shoulder and I ended up crashing to the floor. The roller rink girl , you know, the one with the whistle, skated over to me to see if I was ok. I told her yes, and that I didn't think anything was broken. But, I did hit the floor pretty hard.
The next day at work (my mom works for a nursing home) my left arm was really bothering me, so the people at work convinced me to have it x-rayed. Well, I did, and it turns out that I broke my arm!" (she laughs)
Then she says...
"I was upset because Daddy Rob and I had planned to go deer hunting this weekend coming up. I told the Dr. about our plans to go hunting, and since I shoot my rifle with my right hand, I asked him if I could please go. He said yes. So I can still go shoot a deer this weekend!"

My mother is insane.

No comments: