Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Meeting - part three

I walked through the lobby and looked for Sugar. There were about 10 people down there. None of them looked like they were waiting for me. There were a couple people standing talking to each other. There were a few people at the registration desk. There was a lady checking out the jewellery display. Hmm. The lady at the display had her back to me and she was carrying what looked like a couple of briefcase type bags. I decided to walk past her and say Sugars name, to see if it was her.
I walked past and in a casual voice I said "Sugar?"
The lady never turned and I smoothly kept walking.
Well. I stopped near the registration desk and looked around, starting to feel a little silly. Where was she? I scanned the entire area and decided that the only person in the area that could be Sugar was the lady in front of the jewellery. I tried again. I started walking back towards her, when she turned around and saw me approaching. "Sugar?" I asked. "Hiiiiiii" she said. We shook hands and she told me that Carly and Ben would be there in about 45 more minutes. We decided to go to one of the restaurants located on the lobby floor.
We sat at an empty bar area, while a waitress set up a table for the 5 of us.

From here things get a little sketchy, as I was quite nervous and excited. I think my brain kind of shut down as things speeded up.

She kept telling me how "cute" and "pretty" I was. I kept thanking her and telling her how nervous and sweaty palmed I was.
She told me that if I didn't feel right about working with Carly and Ben, not to worry, that she thought all of her waiting couples would be happy to work with me.
She kept reaching out and touching my left arm as she spoke to me.
I sipped on my ice water and willed myself to relax and tried to pay attention to her chatter.
We went over my list of fees. She talked to me about a couple of things that Carly mentioned she was unsure about. Things that could maybe be negotiated? I assured Sugar that I was flexible. She seemed relieved. They had to do with childcare costs and my husbands wages. Two things that I did not mind bending on.
She took out a photo album and showed me her agency's success stories. Each page had the couple's picture, their baby's picture and their surrogate's picture. It was almost full. I remember telling her to save us a page.
About 30 minutes had passed, and I decided to call Allen and see how things were going and tell him exactly where we were at. There are three restaurants in the hotel lobby- I didn't want him to search for us.
I called him and Sugar went to use the restroom.
She returned and he showed up a minute after.
I introduced them and the three of us chatted for about 2 minutes.
Then Sugar's phone rang and it was Carly.
They had arrived at the hotel.

No comments: