Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Couple #1

So, Allen and I decided on couple #1.

We went back and forth between them and couple #2, and ultimately chose #1. Both of these couples have done IVF, have had losses, live in the same state, have the same clinic, the same RE, etc.
The main reason we decided to #1 over the others was the fact that they are the oldest couple (her 37, him 44) and they don't have time on their side like couples #2 and #3. Also, it just doesn't seem right to help a couple with a beautiful 4yr old daughter over a couple that doesn't have any children. I know that it isn't fair to compare primary infirtility and secondary infirtility, but when I looked at all the other factors, that was the only way I could make a decision.

I have to admit, I'm a bit scared though. Couple #1 hasn't cycled in 3 years, since IM was 34. She's 37 now. I asked and found out that her last cycle yeilded 11 eggs and 3 embryos.

My head tells me to go with couple #2. Younger, with a triplet(loss) prgnancy through IVF. I feel the odds are better for me to get pregnant for them.

My heart however leads me to help couple #1. I hope I'm not setting myself up for cycle after cycle of shots and meds and dissappointment.

I told Sugar of our decision on Saturday.
I spoke with her again last night, and she said she's mailing them my new picture and profile today. They should have it by tomorrow or the next day.

3 comments:

Aileara said...

Congrats - imho, you made the right choice, but then that's something only you could do - follow your heart. And we all know how big your heart is. Good luck, Dee - I'll be following this journey too.

Anonymous said...

Wow - how exciting! I think you made the right choice. I hope you'll keep blogging about your experiences. I know at one point you talked about stopping but I hope you continue. It is so interesting to hear the surrogate's side of things.

Anonymous said...

Ditto Aileara. You have to go with that gut feeling. When do you think you'll hear back?