Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Another cycle begins

My daughter is Kate 13 years (and 2 months) old.
Yesterday, she got her period for the first time.
*sob*
It actually got to me emotionally.
I was pregnant for Kate at the age of 18, and delivered her when I was barely 19 years old. It really doesn't seem that long ago. I can't believe that my baby girl is growing up so quickly. Some years, time seems to hold still, and your children almost seem like they'll never grow up or change.
But every once in a while, there's a moment, or an event that makes your eyes open...and you see clearly for a moment. You look at your child and you say "Wow. They look so different to me today."
Or, "I can't belive that they're able to do that."
Yesterday was one of those moments.
I kept catching myself studying my daughter's face as she did her homework. I looked over at her more than usual as we watched a movie. Looking at her profile, I realized that my little girl isn't so little anymore. She's really a young lady. And at the same time I am sad, I am proud and awed at the woman she is becoming.

2 comments:

bibliophile1978 said...

I like how you titled this one..."Another cycle begins." Isn't it odd, considering how preoccupied you are with cycles right now, that your daughter just started her first "cycle"? Doesn't it feel kind of scary that she is going through this too? I mean, she's your baby! I can't even think of my Baby Girl becoming a woman. What a wonderful and terrifying experience it must be for you, as her Mom!

Dee said...

You hit the nail on the head. I can't belive that she started along with the cycle I've been waiting for, for months. Neat.