Sunday, April 30, 2006

Weekend Update

Friday night I was on the phone with Carly and I was bored. So I said offhandedly, " I should come visit you". Right away she started squealing "Yes! Come visit! Are you really thinking of coming over?" She was super excited. I said "sure, why not?"
This was around 7pm.
She lives about 50 minutes from me, and I've never seen her house.
So I hopped in the shower, and headed out by 8pm.
I arrived at 9, and visited with her and Ben until 12pm. We had a great visit.
Our phone calls have been a little strained lately, and I think that this visit was just what we needed.
When I arrived, I showed her and Ben my belly. Carly gasped! She thought it was so great.
When I was about to leave, Carly seemed bummed that I was leaving. I reminded her that even if I left right then, I wouldn't even get home until almost 1am.
I had to talk to her on my cell phone for the first 15 minutes or so after leaving her house, due to the fact it was so dark, and it was hard to find all the street signs I needed.
While we were talking, she told me that she would have been happy if I had wanted to spend the night. That made me feel good. I knew then that they had really enjoyed me coming over.

I can't believe we're heading into pregnancy week 17!

We have our OB-Gyn appointment tomorrow morning. Right now we're going every 4 weeks.

In other news, last night (Sat) the phone rang at 1:40am and it was my best friend. My best friend is my sister-in-law, Lee. She called me crying, saying that my brother-in-law (Allen's brother, Duke) was vomiting blood and was hallucinating a bit. He refused to go to the hospital.
A bit of background-
Duke (my husbands brother) is a good hearted guy. A good person. But he's an alcoholic. He was hospitalized a few years ago, twice, and almost died. His liver almost completely shut down and he was every shade of green and then yellow for months. He looked like an alien with green face paint on. It was unreal.
he was released, and told that if he didn't quit drinking, it would kill him.
Well, we think he stopped for about a year, then slowly started sneaking liquor. His choice- straight vodka.
Lee, had started finding his hidden bottles here and there over the last couple of years. He still refuses to go to AA or get any kind of outside help.
This past couple of weeks , Lee has found 2 more bottles.
Then this past week, she told me that she knew something was wrong, he had been sleeping almost every day, all day. ( my brother-in law doesn't work, he's got other issues as well)

So last night, Lee called me, freaking out. Duke was vomiting black blood (like coffee grounds she says) just like a few years ago when he almost died.
She could not get him to go to the hospital.
Another point to mention here is that they don't have insurance of any kind, and haven't had any since Duke lost his cleaning company last August. (the one I used to work for)
So she is completely breaking down on the phone.
I talked to her until almost 4am, and then we hung up, with her unable to force him to go get help.

When I woke up this morning, Allen told me that Lee had called, and Duke finally agreed to go to the hospital.
We went and visited them today, as the hospital is only 5 minutes from our house.
So far, he has been admitted, and they are running tests on him. He is already starting into his DT's, shaking and hallucinating from the lack of alcohol. He was thanking Lee for bringing Vito (one of their dogs) and putting him under the hospital bed. He's a mess. And he'll only get worse over the next while.

I feel so badly for my sis-in-law and best friend. She has been keeping her family (they have 2 boys)together for so long. She loves a good man with a bad addiction.
I hope that this time, is the one that wakes Duke up. But I said that the last 2 times, and you can't make someone get help, who doesn't want help.

So that's my update, I'm tired, and I don't have time to check for spelling mistakes.
Forgive me.

1 comment:

bibliophile1978 said...

I'm so sorry to hear about what Lee and Duke are going through right now. I know how much you care about them, so I bet it's hard for you, too. Maybe that stress caused the levated BP at the dr.'s. try to relax (I know, much easier said than done), and hope for the best.

But it was nice to hear you feel a little better about the relationship with Carly, and that the babies are continuing to thrive. :))